As you may have gathered Saturday, we were both pretty worn out and frustrated about our house. This was SO much more than we were expecting and we couldn’t help but feel completely over our heads. I mean, we went from figuring out how to replace discontinued siding to facing a serious mold infestation. After checking in with my dad at the end of Saturday, he offered to come down and help us for the day so we took him up on it.
Sunday morning our reinforcements arrived bright and early. Having his expertise and some extra sets of helpers was a big relief for us and we were ready to get started. So what did we do?
We started by getting rid of the moldy studs. We let them dry out over night (thankfully a 0% chance of rain, phew) but it was clear they were quite rotten and needed to go. The tricky part about removing studs from an existing wall is if you don’t remount well enough, the wall will no longer be stable. Since we weren’t saving the moldy drywall, we used the sawszall to cut off the rotten parts.
Next, we needed to get that drywall out. This proved very easy since it was soaked. You may wonder how we didn’t catch this sooner, all I can say is there is chocolate brown paint in there and it’s been painted at least 3 times, so it seemed to seal it in. For fun, I took the putty knife and scrapped all the paint off the wall…yep, it absolutely peeled off easier than the wallpaper. Awesome.
Dad also reinforced the bottom of the window (and yes, we’re giving up trying to fix the stupid window and we’re just replacing the whole dang thing).
We needed to survey the damage and make sure it was contained. We verified the upper part of the house wasn’t rotten and then headed inside.
Staring at the ceiling. There was a bit of mold in there, so we wiped it down with bleach and let it air, before we seal up the window we’re going to put Killz on it to make sure it’s dead. The good news is there wasn’t any rot.
After we got the studs back in, we were ready to start getting the house sealed back up. We’re not done with our fix but it’s supposed to rain this week so we need to seal up or we’re going to have a pool in the dining room.
This board felt fantastic going up….like a sigh of relief.
We covered the front of the house in clear plastic wrap to help keep the moisture out. I didn’t get a picture because it was after 10 p.m. by the time we finished!
Still on the exterior to do list:
Piece together our siding
Fix the back of the house window sills
Select and order new windows
Install new windows
Pick a paint color
Finish painting the exterior lights
Have the house painted (SO glad we didn’t decide to do this ourselves)
Sit on the front step and have a drink with an umbrella in it